Location: Brighton & Hove
Job Type: Full Time/Self-Employed
Job title: Brighton & Hove Operations Manager
Reporting to: Project Director
Remuneration: £28,000 (self-employed, Full time)
Days and Hours: 5 days a week, flexible hours, working over the weekend.
Duration: 3 months, subject performance and funding
Location: Brighton & Hove, several areas and expanding reach, flexible location and availability to work
Breadwinners is looking for a capable, passionate and enthusiastic Operations Manager to pilot and expand our
operations in Brighton & Hove. This role will report to the Director and be responsible for piloting our flagship
programmes in new areas of the UK, supporting, and inspiring further people to support young people seeking
asylum and refugees into their first UK jobs.
We currently run three progressive programmes. The ‘Risers Programme’ for young people seeking asylum and
the ‘Breadwinners Programme’ for refugees operate from our unique artisan bread stalls in markets across
London, where we sell organic high-quality bread with 100% of the profit going back into the charity to power
our work. The third, ‘Proofers Programme’, was recently created as a response to COVID 19 challenges,
supporting refugees who have already been through Risers and Breadwinners to grow their IT skills and expand
their work experience by managing our new bread home delivery through our e-commerce site.
To date, these programmes have supported 139 young people seeking asylum and refugees, with 90% of
Breadwinners graduates landing a job after an average of 7 months of Breadwinners support. 96% of our
Programme participants significantly improved their aspirations, communications skills, work readiness,
integration and wellbeing.
As the new Brighton and Hove Operations Manager, you will be a highly motivated, people person, who is
business savvy and entrepreneurial. You will have a passion for supporting refugees and young people seeking
asylum, and a good understanding and ability to drive sales of high-end baked goods. We are a small,
grassroots charity and social enterprise, so a can-do attitude and the drive to work independently and in a
team within a small, start-up team, delivering huge impact is essential. You will have the ability to run our
programmes, facilitate training sessions and recruit and support mentors with the aim of supporting refugees
You will be working with the Project Director, Programme Managers, Charity partners, and volunteers to deliver
our first pilot in Brighton and Hove, and build from scratch the network of charity and business partners. You
will be setting up our first market stall, recruiting and training young refugees and volunteer mentors,
delivering training and facilitation sessions, monitoring and evaluating the impact of the programme, and
compiling a report to apply to further funding and expand the work.
You will have the chance of seeing the impact your work has, meeting the inspiring people we work with,
working together with a passionate team in a fun and positive environment.
We want to encourage applications from people with personal, professional, or volunteering experience, and
welcome informal chats about the role – please call Martin Cosarinsky Campos on 07783996918. Experience
Breadwinners Foundation, Charity Registration Number 1166646
with online retail is highly valuable. Please apply as soon as possible, by submitting your cover letter and CV
to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use “BW – Brighton & Hove Manager” as the email subject. We will
arrange interviews for great applications as they come in. No more applications will be taken after the 30th
Key responsibilities –
● Pilot our successful programmes in Brighton & Hove
Establish successful long term partnerships with local charities and businesses to replicate the Breadwinners
London model, using the learnings from London and adapting to the new area.
● Programme Development – Running the Programmes
Designing and delivering exciting programmes supporting refugees into work, using our market business model
as a platform. Pilot a smaller version of our already successful ‘Breadwinners’ and ‘Risers’ programmes
supporting refugees with work, and work experience selling baked goods at market stalls, mentoring and
training. Expand the programmes subject to funding. Making sure the needs of refugees are at the centre of all
● Charity Impact – Checking we are doing good!
Working with the Project Director to measure the positive impact of our programmes and report to funders,
using different tools, and continuously learning from the needs and experiences of unemployed refugees in
London to improve the programmes.
● Performance Management – Supporting the development of people
Designing a supportive developing plan for “Breadwinners”, “Risers” and “Volunteer Mentors”, to ensure
everyone is making the most out of their involvement with Breadwinners.
● Effective Operations – Supporting the Markets
Working with the Director to support the market stalls, ensuring the logistics run smoothly, that they have the
correct equipment, to the best health and safety practices, and that the “Breadwinners”, “Risers” and
volunteers are supported with training and on-hand experience to run our Market Stalls at the very top level of
customer services best practices. Making improvements to promote and drive the sales of baked goods.
● Resource Management – Recruiting amazing people
Recruiting new “Breadwinners”, “Risers”, and volunteer mentors, to successfully deliver the Programmes.
● Governance – Safety First
Ensuring safeguarding and code of conduct of all participants.
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate the below points:
● Passionate about supporting refugees and young people seeking asylum, with either personal, professional
or volunteering experience.
● Strong project management skills, planning tasks and activities, dealing with a variety of people and
different communication styles and forms (Face to face, email, WhatsApp).
● Experience in designing and delivering development programmes, recruiting, training, supervising and
motivating beneficiaries and volunteers, desired.
● A simple approach, finding quick solutions to problems and setting up new processes.
● Energetic and self-motivated, able to work by yourself and as part of a team. Ability to motivate others and
create a fun and positive environment, trying out and innovating new approaches.
● Valuing connections and personal interactions, welcoming new people and being open to new cultures,
involving your network and expanding it to new people.
● Entrepreneurial, business experience, preferably on customer-facing work.
● Ability to multitask, cover other responsibilities when needed, and delegate.
Breadwinners Foundation, Charity Registration Number 1166646
● Computer literate with good knowledge of google platform including email, calendar, drive, sheets, docs,
● Good English, and at least 1 more language with Arabic as desired.
● Salary – £28,000 self-employment, secured for 3 months.
● Opportunity to work directly with programme participants and volunteers, and make a difference in their
lives and yours.
● Contribution to the growth and direction of a new, ambitious, award-winning charity.
● Working directly with the Project Director, and alongside a supportive and passionate Board of Trustees.
● Flexible time and work locations.
● You must have a visa that allows you to work in the UK to apply for this job.
● Appointment subject to DBS Checks.